Friday 26 August 2011

Are you really looking?

Today, it rained.  A heavy down pour - the kind you get when it thunders.  It got me thinking about creativity and the weather - how it's used to portray mood or overall tone in a story.  I have to admit, rainy days make me more creative.  They always have.  I grew up in Wales, so as you can imagine, I had an abundance of creative days.  Rain can be an agent of beauty, bringing out the true colour in the rocks or pebbles on a beach.  Mountains in Snowdonia are often shrouded in a dense cloud that is ever changing.  Parting mists that reveal the highest of the peaks, allowing one brief glimpse of the mountains soul or of the aquamarine sky beyond.
     I once heard someone declare, " If you've seen one mountain, you've seen them all."  How wrong they were.  Weather and seasons change a scene everyday, so it adds to the essence of a location.  Every place has it's own story, geology or people.  So, if you think that every mountain range is like any other, or that the view from your own window is the same every time you look out...well then, perhaps, you're not really looking. 

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree! It's the subtle differences that amaze me the most. I think writers, especially, are prone to observation on a deeper level than most people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more! First of all- I love rainy days for reading, writing, and drawing! Also- each and every day has something different to offer if you look closely- no two scenes are the same!

    I found you through Book Blogs and signed up to follow you. When you have a chance- please stop by and follow the blog for my middle grade novel that I am hoping to get published. http://thesecretdmsfilesoffairdaymorrow.blogspot.com/

    Take care-
    Jess- although I may show up as Fairday, the main character from my novel. I can't figure out why that happens and I can't fix it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How can anyone say that ,'if you have seen one mountain...' Mountains are like people, they all have their own character and none are alike. My life mantra is, 'Just living is not enough, I must have fresh air, freedom, mountains and music.'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mountains, downpours, sun through the trees, crunchy new fallen leaves blown by the wind - these make up the colour on life's canvas. I cannot find inspiration without them.

    ReplyDelete